minaskaya

A Moonlight Sonata

The UHQ Nasanta reporting for duty, GR buddies! Transitioning slowly, one review at a time.

Night of the Dark Horse
Janni Nell
The Last Boyfriend (Inn BoonsBoro Trilogy #2)
Nora Roberts
Shoggoth's Old Peculiar - Jouni Koponen, Neil Gaiman

So Peculiar It Went Over My Head Review

2.5 - 3 stars

Narrated by Neil Gaiman

Free short story from Audible, previous published in a collection of short stories by the author in Smoke and Mirrors, and read by the author.

"Shoggoth's Old Peculiar" - It was an odd short story, as I find all of this author's works. It was occasionally amusing. Maybe it was outright hysterical. I don't know; I might be missing some elements of British humor completely as I did in Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. I was not familiar with H.P. Lovecraft. Should I have been? Would I have understood the humor better? I don't know. I didn't under much of the discussion, and had difficulty focusing as a result.

Ben Lassiter, an American from Texas on a walking tour of England, observes that guidebooks aren't too reliable in their descriptions:

All British seaside resorts contain a number of bed-and-breakfasts establishments who will be only too delighted to put you up in the off-season. was one such piece of advice. Ben had crossed it out and written in the margin beside it: All British seaside resorts contain a handful of bed-and-breakfasts establishments, the owners of which take off to Spain or Provence or somewhere on the last day of September, locking the doors behind them as they go.

and

...he had begun to translate key descriptive words: charming he decided, meant nondescript; scenic meant ugly but with a nice view if the rain ever lets up; delightful probably meant We've never been here and don't know anyone who has. He had also come to the conclusion that the more exotic the name of the village, the duller the village.

From his experiences, I've learned not to go to a village on the English coastline that is rated "neither charming, scenic, nor delightful in the guidebook, have several rounds of beer with random men who are obsessed with H.P. Lovecraft in a "Saloon Bar" nor have them take me on a tour of their village - or to go drinking in English pubs at all.

Let's just say that while some parts made me chuckle, I was really kind of lost.

Sample of The Ocean at the End of the Land - It was interesting, and made me interested in reading the book but the beginning was so sad. I'm not sure I would get the audiobook version though. As odd and whimsical the author's writing is, I may find it easier to read at my own pace.